Day 342– March 15, 2015
As I walked meditatively around a crater rim in Death Valley National Park, I planned for the future, not just the coming week, but for the rest of my forties. In ten days on March 25, I celebrate my 42.5 birthday. I will be 25% done with this important 40s middle period. I have goals.
10 Things to Accomplish in My 40s before September 25, 2022
- Get married.
- Say Goodbye to My Parents. At the end of my 40s, my father will be a month shy of 90. My mother will be in her late 80s. I don’t know for how long they will be around, but I would like to have some meaningful time with them.
- Own a Home.
- Try a Computational Career. I have wanted to program computers as a job, but stuck instead with chemistry. Take a risk and try something new.
- Be Influential at a Company. Join a young company to shape its culture, design its products, hire its people, and drive its success.
- Take Another Break for about a year before I turn 53.
- Visit all 50 states. I am missing 6: Alaska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina.
- One Long Hike for a week or more on either the Pacific Crest Trail or the Appalachian Trail.
- Move Away from San Francisco. I love you, but I can’t live here forever.